Sunday, January 11, 2009

About me

Why Bohemeanne, why?


As promised on my announcement page, I finally got around to starting my etsy blog. It can be difficult with a young baby to type and think about what I’m saying!

So the question that I mentioned, that is, “why don’t I charge more for my merchandise”. Well, let’s see.
Thankfulness would be one reason. I am lucky enough to be a stay at home mom who doesn’t have to work away from my baby. My husband doesn’t expect any extra income from me, although it would be nice! I feel a little obligated, sort of like a sacrifice-to make homemade things that don’t cost a lot of money. There are a lot of women that I would think would love to be at home, raising their children and creating crafts. This is one way that I can say, well I’m sorry that you can’t afford to do that-but I can, and I’m passing the thankfulness to you.
Secondly is non-greed. I’m a person who has gone a long time between haircuts, buying new clothing, or sometimes even forgoing doctor’s visits. And although the doctor’s visits aren’t really something I should skip, I’m happy to say that I live simply. I don’t feel like I need so much all the time that I need to be charging all this money for my work. For what? I’m not saying that I don’t need any money at all; I’m just saying that I try to be quite respectful to my buyers. A lot of my work is a gift to the buyer, not something that I’m trying to say is so precious that no one can afford it.
Lastly, cost of supplies. I’m a saver. I spurge on a craft supply when I think that it is worth it, but a lot of the times I find great deals on my craft supplies. I pass the savings to you! I definitely don’t work with junk, quality is still a concern. But you better bet that if I see a huge sale on a type of yarn, I’m going to buy a whole lot of it!

Sales in my shop have been slow, and a lot of passers-through have mentioned that they think my prices are one of the problems. Among the others like, lack of contacting the etsy community, clarity of pictures, and better announcements and descriptions I’m still working on. I hope in you reading this blog, you can better understand my purpose on etsy, and I look forward to seeing you around the forum!

No comments:

Post a Comment